Over the weekend we had such summer like weather and the strawberries were on sale at the BigY buy 1 get 2 free! Who can pass up that deal? So, we ate lots of strawberries! I made some strawberry shortcakes, and I thought I'd share the recipe because they turned out really yummy! The recipe came from the Baking Bites blog. Also, anything I make these days has to be minimal in prep and baking time, and these were very easy to throw together.
Here's a photo of our shortcakes!
Strawberry Buttermilk Shortcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk*
1 tsp vanilla extract
Fresh, ripe strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Rub in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or pulse a few times in a food processor*).
4. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract until the dough comes together. Add an additional tablespoon of buttermilk if the dough is slightly dry.
5. Drop by 1/4 cups (use measuring cup) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack.
* I did not have buttermilk, but instead used a tablespoon of lemon juice and whole milk to make 3/4 cup. I also used the food processor to mix in the butter and then the "buttermilk" and vanilla extract. This made it very easy.